So the last time we went camping as a scout troop we got snowed out.
We did our Aaronic Priesthood commemoration/Father & Son Campout this weekend. It rained. Wow that is such an understandment!
We had 3 inches of water in the firepit, we had a river running thru the center of our camp that we had to divert to get the firepit to drain. We had a mudring around the firepit. Everything was muddy, everyone was soaked, and lots of people decided not to join us (I guess a tornado watch cancelled a lot of dad's plans).
For those of us that really wanted to camp, we had a blast! Even though everything was wet, we still managed to have a fire that burned really well, and produced great coals for cooking! The boys still went and played capture the flag. We had a great program about the Aaronic Priesthood. And we had great food.
The fire was great! Our last experience camping had most of the boys proclaim themselves pyromaniacs, and then fail to get a fire started. So we practiced starting fires on Wednesday night (yes we got rained on then too!) At this campout, with all the rain, one of the other leaders that had gotten there early, decided he'd get a fire going, and as he wasn't ever a boy scout he pulled out the camp fuel to try and help it start. With all the rain, the fuel successfully washed into a ring about 8 feet out from the fire ring by the time we got a match to the fuel, so we had a really cool flame for a second or two. Then it died. And wouldn't light again. So instead he lit his campstove and got some hot cider on.
And then Jeffer went to work! I had prepped my kindling and tinder the day before (broke it down by size and shrinkwrapped the bundles together to protect against the wet) and so we set a card table over the fire pit; I layed the wet wood down in the water to protect my tinder, then sliced open each bundle, spread it out, layed the next size on top, and then lit a match. In less than 3 minutes from time I decided I'd get a fire going, I had flames 5 feet high. Jeffer IS a pyro! :)
Foodwise Kevin and I had Ribs, I had made a tin foil dinner with leftover steak (bought at a sale almost a year ago, wrapped up put in the freezer and almost forgotten!), pre cooked potato and onion, mushrooms, and then a side dish of sweet potato with butter and brown sugar. Yum...
For breakfast we had planned for 60 people from our ward, and the other 2 wards that showed up had showed up had planned for 25...so we had lots of food. Pancakes, southern style potatos, bacon, sausage, eggs (from home raised chickens even!), and juice or milk to drink. Good food.
With all of that, I will say clean up sucks. But we had a great time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
If it makes you feel better, I haven't been camping with Travis ONCE in the last 12 years when it didn't rain on us for AT LEAST one day! I'm SOOOO excited we finally have a trailer!!
Post a Comment