Sunday, October 25, 2009

Rachel's true colors



Whatever you do, do not think for one small minute that this is the face of an sweet little angel!!!! I understand that she has everyone fooled but I promise, she can be quite the hand full and lately she has been in full blown terrible twos. I can't WAIT for three to get here! Having said that, this beautiful, ornery, almost three year old taught me a lesson last night that I just have to share.
I got to go to Time Out For Women this weekend so it had been a great day with lots of laughs and a few tears and NO KIDS!!! So I was tired but in a good mood and ready to try harder to be a better mom. So last night as we were putting the girls to bed, we read scriptures, which went well, and then were getting ready to say prayers when Rachel decided to show her two year old colors and started kicking Daddy and refusing to listen to anything Jeff or I said to her. Have I ever mentioned that I have very stubborn, strong willed children? Well, this was one of Rachel's better examples of that. After having the kids all day by himself, Jeff was pretty much done for the day at that point and had a huge headache so was willing to do just about anything to keep her happy when she started acting up. So I grabbed a hold of her and set you on my lap. Rachel of course did not want to be on my lap so she started kicking and squirming but since we were trying to say prayers, I was not about to let her up. To try to make this a little shorter, I will sum it all up by saying that this turned into a major battle. Let's just say that this was not how I imagined I would be implementing those vows to be a better mom. So where is the lesson in all of this? Well, as Rachel was struggling in my lap, I was trying to think of a more Christ like way to handle the situation when the thought came to me that sometimes Heavenly Father does the exact same thing with us. Sometimes in life we kick and scream and throw a fit because we do not like whatever situation we have been put in or we don't want to change or do whatever we know Heavenly Father wants us to do. Sometimes even "adults" can be fairly stubborn, strong willed, children and when we are in the middle of the fit, Heavenly Father just lovely and gently, yet firmly, wraps His arms around us and holds us tight until we are ready and willing to submit our will to His. Rachel reminded me that even though this situation isn't usually fun, it is necessary for our growth and development. As a parent, we try to steer our children in the right direction. Our lovely Heavenly Father knows how to do this better then anyone and last night He reminded me that being a good parent sometimes means fighting with your kids so that they learn right from wrong. I know I am not describing this well but I hope you get the point. I am so very grateful for my stubborn, strong willed, children and all the lessons they teach me. I am grateful to my Heavenly Father for loving me so much and for showing me that love through my children everyday. I am so blessed!

PS. Sorry this turned into a book.

4 comments:

SDLollypoppers said...

Beautifully put. I often feel that way too. :)

Hokie said...

I have a student a lot like this. I get so frustrated because I honestly feel like I am dealing with a two-year-old when it comes to him. I thought that I would have to just ignore him because we know how it is to reason with a two-year-old, but perhaps I am going about it the wrong way, I need to tighten my grip and set be a little harder on him. Maybe I can help him grow up a little.

Thanks for the story and reminder that as children we should recognize what we want isn't always whats best.

What's up with the Walkers! said...

Great! Thanks for the words of encouragement, now I will be able to go forth with more patience, I hope:)

hwg2g2 said...

It is a good thing when we can learn from the stinkers are kids can become. Karina got five shots today and it made the rest of the night so hard on her. Some things that hurt are good for us. Poor baby girl!