Well, where do I start? It's a girl!!!! That is the good news. Bad news is her chromosomes are the same as Ashley's. So what does that mean? Well, it could mean a lot of things, but mostly it means that we will be having a lot more ultrasounds to see if we can identify any problems ahead of time. We do know that she does have a lower jaw unlike Ashley so that is one challenge that we will not have to overcome. It is also important to note that the outcome with this baby will not necessarily be the same as it was with Ashley. Of the 7 babies in the family that have had the chromosome disorder, 3 are alive and healthy and one of them might have lived if technology at the time would have been capable of treating her.
Jeff and I have taken the news really well considering. As Jeff put it, mostly we are fine with it, but occasionally we have to stop for a moment and take a deep breathe. We have both felt very different about this baby then we did about Ashley. Having experienced it already probably helps a lot, but we really feel that things will turn out different this time.
As I have pondered my own feelings over the past week, I am even amazed at how at peace I am. With Ashley, there were lots of things that were just too over whelming to think about. As I have thought about similar things with this baby, they have just seemed like normal things on a check list that you would think about with any child. The thought that came to my mind the other day was, first, every child is a blessing. Second, every child (healthy or not) has its own unique set of challenges that you deal with as a parent. This child will most likely have a lot of challenges to overcome that we haven't had to deal with before, however we will not have to face some of the challenges with her that we will inevitably face with the older two. I also know that the Lord will give us the tools that we need and place people in our lives that will help us all to learn and grow.
We appreciate all your support and prayers and will keep you updated as we learn more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Oh, Cari and Jeff! I'm glad to hear that it's another girl! Yay! I'm also glad to hear that things do look different with this one. I'll be praying for you and your little one.
Many, many prayers will be sent your way. Hooray for a girl! Hooray for a lower jaw! I hope all goes well, and that June is a fantastic month for you all. (It is June, right? Or did I get you mixed up with someone else?)
There could be no better home for this little girl than one with so much understanding from the beginning. Prayers are with you, but also I have a sure knowledge that you'll do just fine!
You guys will be in my prayers. I wish you the best. I must admit the news of another girl made me smile--remembering how us girls drove Jeff crazy once upon a time. 'Guess he's just meant to be surrounded by amazing women!
We love you and are here if you need anything, but you knew that. You are in my prayers.
Congratulations on another little girl. You two are amazing people!
Our prayers are with you guys.
Congrats on another girlie! :) You guys are so awesome, you give me strength and optimism. I truly admire your family. I have to agree with "aipabst" I couldn't have said it better myself.
Thanks so much for sharing! Let us know how the pregnancy continues...Obviously you are the best parents to welcome such a special spirit. When is your due date? We're due on May 11th, but waiting to see what we're having...
I'm glad to hear that it seems like there are more pluses than minuses at this point. I hope everything continues to go well! You guys will be in our prayers!
Post a Comment